It’s not just teens that are doing it. Texting while driving is a growing trend and a national epidemic; quickly becoming one of the country’s top killers.
Adult and teen drivers alike think they can handle texting while driving, but the numbers are proving otherwise. One project in Belgium tricked teen drivers into thinking that in order to pass their driving test, they had to be able to successfully text and drive on a closed course. The results are funny and frightening.
Texting While Driving Causes:
1. 1,600,000 accidents per year – National Safety Council
2. 330,000 injuries per year – Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
3. 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY – Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
4. Nearly 25% of ALL car accidents
Texting While Driving Is:
1. About 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving intoxicated
2. The same as driving after 4 beers – National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
3. The number one driving distraction reported by teen drivers
Texting While Driving:
1. Makes you 23X more likely to crash – National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
2. Is the same as driving blind for 5 seconds at a time – VA. Tech Transportation Institute
3. Takes place by 800,000 drivers at any given time across the country
4. Slows your brake reaction speed by 18% – HumanFactors & Ergonomics Society
5. Leads to a 400% increase with eyes off the road
So, please share this infographic and take the pledge to commit to being a no texting driver and make the roads safer for everyone.
Please share this infographic on the dangers of texting and driving with all of your friends and loved ones. Let’s remind them how dangerous and expensive it can be to text and drive.